Le forum de Ptipois
Hi! Bonjour ! Bienvenue and welcome sur le forum de Ptipois.

Do check the "Forum talk" topic for any forum news.

N'oubliez pas de consulter le sujet "Forum talk" pour les news du forum.
Le forum de Ptipois

Food, drink. Manger, boire.

AccueilAccueil  CalendrierCalendrier  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  MembresMembres  GroupesGroupes  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  

Partagez | 

Farmer's Markets, snapshots of where you live

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
Margaret Pilgrim

MessageSujet: Farmer's Markets, snapshots of where you live   Mar 6 Oct - 3:01

A young friend visiting from France was an excuse to sample cheese at our tiny but rather good Sunday farmer's market on Clement Street.  Flore was fascinated with produce that was unfamiliar to her, okra, Padron peppers, Chinese dates and was quite interested in prices, which she found both high and low.   I goaded the cheesemongers to convert her, and they rose to the occasion, making choosing a few to buy difficult.   We finally arrived at these four:

http://www.nicasiocheese.com/cheese.html
http://www.weirauchfarm.com/Weirauch_Farm_%26_Creamery/CHEESE.html

And of course a few tomatoes:

(This is actually or additionally a test of photo posting.   If only I can remember how I did it!    Thanks for the detailed tutorial, Pti.   Even with it i feel lucky to finally see these two images!)
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Ptipois
Admin

MessageSujet: Re: Farmer's Markets, snapshots of where you live   Mar 6 Oct - 14:42

Interesting cheeses. Mind to develop a bit on each one?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://ptipois.fr-bb.com
Margaret Pilgrim

MessageSujet: Re: Farmer's Markets, snapshots of where you live   Mar 6 Oct - 17:04

(Shhhh.   Someone on this forum will sample these at dinner on Friday.)  

Starting upper left, I chose this one because it sounded interesting, was new and i like Brie style.   They weren't sampling it on Sunday, so I bought on faith.    Upper right is a very subtly seasoned fresh/soft cow cheese, creamy and fresh tasting with just a hint of garlic and basil, quite unlike "in your face" Boursin.   Flore liked it and Chuck likes that kind of cheese.   Getting more serious at lower left, Saint Rose is a lovely and I would call quintessential  sweet, young sheep cheese.   Lower right, Melusina is a conté-style. 

We'll pay some attention to these at dinner and come back with better tasting notes.

It is interesting that California's booming cheese industry was started in great part by women farmers who raised sheep and goats as more manageable size than cows.    It gradually became heterosexual and is now vibrant (creating cheese that stands up well to international competition Razz ).  Bellwether Farms was started by our internist's wife, now run by her son, providing lamb and cheese to top restaurants, Chez Panisse, among them.    Just one success story.
Margaret Pilgrim

MessageSujet: Re: Farmer's Markets, snapshots of where you live   Sam 10 Oct - 18:09

Oh dear, Sophie!    I think we flunked LBdS 101.    It was one of those nights when food was second to company.    We scarfed the cheese without analytics!  

Promises to be better in the future.    Embarassed
Ptipois
Admin

MessageSujet: Re: Farmer's Markets, snapshots of where you live   Sam 10 Oct - 23:55

No worry. Digest in peace.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://ptipois.fr-bb.com
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Farmer's Markets, snapshots of where you live   

Farmer's Markets, snapshots of where you live
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1