Le forum de Ptipois
Hi! Bonjour ! Bienvenue and welcome sur le forum de Ptipois.

Do check the "Forum talk" topic for any forum news.

N'oubliez pas de consulter le sujet "Forum talk" pour les news du forum.
Le forum de Ptipois

Food, drink. Manger, boire.

AccueilAccueil  CalendrierCalendrier  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  MembresMembres  GroupesGroupes  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  

Partagez | 

Saucisson de Lyon?

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
JakeD

MessageSujet: Saucisson de Lyon?    Lun 12 Oct - 21:12

Hi all, we are suddenly in need of Saucisson de Lyon. I think this is the correct name, but I'm not sure.  This is a fresh sausage, served cooked/ poached, and usually warm. It often contains pistachios.

The problem is, we are home, here in the Bay Area.  And idea where we can get these fellows around here? 

Thanks -- Jake
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Ptipois
Admin

MessageSujet: Re: Saucisson de Lyon?    Mar 13 Oct - 10:44

It is in fact semi-fresh, since the meat is marinated in wine before being embossed.
There's also sabodet, a larger sausage made from pork cheeks, tongue and ears. This one is often cooked and served with lentils while saucisson (in Lyon they rather speak of "cervelas") is more frequently served warm with a potato salad or cooked in a brioche.

Isn't there any available in gourmet food stores in SF?
If not, it ships well and you may order some online.
Bobosse claims they don't ship overseas but they say you can contact them by email.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://ptipois.fr-bb.com
Margaret Pilgrim

MessageSujet: Re: Saucisson de Lyon?    Jeu 15 Oct - 1:59

Not the same but used in somewhat the same way is Italian coteghino.   We buy it at Lucca Delicatessen on Valencia.   In fact, we have one in the fridge at the moment.    I simmer it until it is heated through and serve sliced with boiled new potatoes.   

Here, spelled with a c instead of g.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotechino_Modena`
JakeD

MessageSujet: Re: Saucisson de Lyon?    Jeu 15 Oct - 2:27

Coteghino. Indeed!  Update:  as of yesterday, we've settled on that as a temporary substitute. We are getting four for an upcoming dinner. Two from Molanari in SF, two are being made for us by chef Valenti, of his San Anselmo restaurant. And I have a lead on the Lyon sausage at Bon Marche, the new place on Market in SF.

Dernière édition par JakeD le Jeu 15 Oct - 14:46, édité 2 fois
Ptipois
Admin

MessageSujet: Re: Saucisson de Lyon?    Jeu 15 Oct - 11:37

Jake, is the size-26 type intentional? If so, don't mind my question. If not, do you want me to edit it?

I'd be surprised if there weren't a way to obtain saucisson de Lyon around SF. Beware though, what you want is saucisson à cuire a.k.a. cervelas lyonnais, for they also have saucisson sec de Lyon which is a different thing.

Cotechino is great, but it is quite different. The meat has a coarser texture than cervelas. It is more easily compared to an unsmoked Morteau sausage. Its cooking time is also much longer, from 2 to 4 hours I hear — cervelas and morteau require roughly half an hour.

I like this sausage with plenty of pistachios inside. In Winter, there's also a truffled version.

While we're at it: cook in unsalted simmering (never boiling) water for about 30 minutes. Do NOT prick the saucisson with a fork before cooking.
It is possible to poach it in the broth of a pot-au-feu or a potée for the last 1/2 hour of cooking; again, the broth should be just simmering.

The perfect accompaniment is potato salad (dressing should be sharp enough and include plenty of mustard, black pepper and chopped shallots, NO OLIVE OIL, peanut oil is perfect). I do not recommend to cook the saucisson with the potatoes as some do: the faint simmering that is required for the sausage will not be sufficient to cook the potatoes. Besides, this sort of salad is achieved by boiling the potatoes (the waxy type) in their skins, and I'd prefer not to poach the sausage in that infusion. So, two separate saucepans for the potatoes and the saucisson. Do not forget a clove of garlic and a bay leaf in the potatoes cooking water, plus salt. Nothing, just water, for the sausage.

Here are some extra useful tricks for Lyonnais potato salad:

- Only firm-fleshed, waxy potatoes (in France the perfect varieties would be Roseval, Belle de Fontenay, Chérie, Pompador, BF15 or even Charlotte if young and organic).
- Washed and brushed, boiled whole in their skins until quite tender with coarse salt, a bay leaf and a garlic clove in the cooking water.
- Drained in sink using the lid as a filter, then cover with cold water and peel with the help of a paring knife. Potatoes should still be hot.
- Quickly them into round slices in a salad bowl (still warm!).
- Barely cover the potatoes with dry white wine and let sit for about 10 minutes. (This IS the trick: potatoes will "drink" the wine and won't absorb so much dressing later.)
- Make dressing (not too much vinegar, Dijon or Beaune mustard, chopped shallots, chopped parsley, perhaps a bit of chervil or tarragon, fresh sage a GREAT addition, salt and freshly ground black pepper, a pinch of sugar and peanut oil or any tasteless oil).
- Add dressing to potatoes and mix gently.

If you want to cook the cervelas "en brioche", this is what you do: first poach your sausage as described above. Have some brioche dough ready and preheat oven. Drain the sausage, peel off all the skin, roll out the dough and wrap the sausage in it. Bake for about 40-50 minutes to 1 hour depending on size. Serve warm.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://ptipois.fr-bb.com
JakeD

MessageSujet: Re: Saucisson de Lyon?    Jeu 15 Oct - 14:49

Hi Sophie,  First, regarding the type, I have no idea. I am doing this on an iPhone, what shows up, shows up!   Second, yes, we definitely get the difference between sec and the fresh version of the sausage.  Third, thanks for all the other information and tips, I will be sharing that with Mo right away.
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Saucisson de Lyon?    

Saucisson de Lyon?
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1