Le forum de Ptipois
Hi! Bonjour ! Bienvenue and welcome sur le forum de Ptipois.

Do check the "Forum talk" topic for any forum news.

N'oubliez pas de consulter le sujet "Forum talk" pour les news du forum.
Le forum de Ptipois

Food, drink. Manger, boire.

AccueilAccueil  CalendrierCalendrier  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  MembresMembres  GroupesGroupes  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  

Partagez | 

Le Cou Cou

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
Steve R.

MessageSujet: Le Cou Cou   Ven 12 Aoû - 4:19

We went last night with another food board couple and had an excellent meal.  It is one of the city's nicest rooms, with friendly waiters, captains and somms who go out of their way to ensure that you are enjoying every aspect of the experience.  The wine list is outstanding, with selections at a very wide range, all reasonably priced.  And they will open (at least they did for us) a bottle and let you order a half of the bottle.  The tables and chairs are comfortable and patrons may dress as they see fit.  This is truly an adult restaurant (although some folks forget they are no longer teenagers and should dress accordingly).  And, most importantly, at the end of day, it's all about the food on the plate - and the food was very, very good.

The menu is divided into 3 sections and, depending on how hungry you may be, either 2 or 3 dishes per person are appropriate.  As a foursome, my wife and the other couple each ordered 2 dishes and I (of course) ordered 3, electing to place one of them in the center of the table to be shared.

Fried Tripe (w/ "souvenirs oublie de lyon" - wagyu tripe w/green tomatoes & olivesMy order.  Incredibly rich and crispy, well seasoned, sitting on pickled vegetables cut in small pieces.  Four large pieces. Hard to imagine a better preparation.  Luckily, the serving was big enough to share without my having to forego a large enough amount to make me very happy.

Lobster Stuffed Squash Blossoms - Pike Mousse with finely chopped lobster and fried to perfection - creamy, crunchy with layers of flavor.

Salad of Peas and Tomatoes w/strawberries - my wife tells me it was excellent.  Must've been, since no one else got any from her. 

Asparagus and tuna - received excellent reviews from the other 3.  I don't eat asparagus, so I didn't try this dish.  Looked good.

Oeuf Norvegien - their ode to Scottish Eggs. Expertly cooked soft boiled egg with a salmon wrapping and an artichoke bottom. Visually, the most outstanding of the evening.  A very large ball set in the middle of the table, we cut it in 4 quarters while the egg was still runny and it was a major success.  Taste-wise, salmon, eggs and artichoke on the same fork is hard to beat.

Rack of Lamb - Medium Rare to perfection, seasoned well and tasted like, well, lamb. Excellent.

Duck - this was a dish of 3-4 very tender slices of breast meat with cherries, foie gras and black olives.  Perfectly prepared, extremely tasty.

Dover Sole - My friend, who is a pretty good cook in his own right, was very clear about this dish (that he ordered) and said that it was cooked the way Dover Sole should be, with a contrasting sauce that created a very nice marriage of flavors without overwhelming the fish.  He loved it & my forkful was pretty damn good.

Quenelle - Again, my order.  Sauce made the dish. Flavorful, intense, and in perfect contrast to the soft quenelle, it came in "sauce Americaine" (lobster based) and with a full lobster claw alongside (out of the shell of course).  As my CH friends who may have read my posts about the various non famous bouchons I visited while in Lyon a couple of years ago might remember, I'm a sucker for quenelles and seem to love the pike even when served with a brown sauce (can't remember which Lyon place did this) & certainly with crayfish (which most of the places used).  Well, this was lobster all the way and it worked very well.  One of my new favorites.  Light but very intense.

Cheese - all five offered were ordered and they were all native American varieties.  All excellent, all worth finishing a meal with.  

No other desserts were ordered but several small petit fours were given at the end.

Wines - an Austrian Blaufrankisch; a Carbonic Cabernet Franc from Southold Farm Winery on Long Island and a dessert red from Loire - that was the half bottle we drank.  Also received glasses of a sparkling red dessert wine that was very nice but which I did not note the name.

So, we liked it.  We never got to Spring when we were in Paris a couple of years ago.  Instead, we went to Le Zie Gallerie, Chateaubriand, Le Bat and some local unknown places.  If Spring is anything like this, we missed a good one.  Total cost was about $150/person, including everything (yes, that means a typical NY 20+% tip).  Did we like it a lot?  Well, we reserved for next week on our way out.  Website: http://www.lecoucou.com/menus/

(ptipois: let me know if this was too long for this board.  Hope all goes well here). 
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Margaret Pilgrim

MessageSujet: Re: Le Cou Cou   Sam 13 Aoû - 18:55

Thanks for a super report, Steve . Rose is well known and loved on this forum . It's wonderful but hardly surprising to read that his appreciation spans the Atlantic.
Ptipois
Admin

MessageSujet: Re: Le Cou Cou   Sam 13 Aoû - 21:54

Hi Steve, and welcome to this board! Nothing is ever too long for it. Especially for a much-loved member like you. Please enjoy this (quiet) place.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur http://ptipois.fr-bb.com
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Le Cou Cou   

Le Cou Cou
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1